The following rules and regulations must be adhered in order to compete in Penny Farthing racing events.
The races are open to all penny farthing bicycle enthusiasts.
Racing is the theme, with the emphasis on participation & enjoyment.
Only direct drive “penny farthing” bicycles are eligible.
Original “ordinary” bicycles or reproduction machines are acceptable, provided they comply with the following standards:
- Modern materials are permitted, but bicycles should be typical in appearance of penny farthings of the 19th century.
- Foot restraining devices are not permitted for safety reasons, even though they may be authentic.
- Solid rubber tyres only. These must be securely fitted.
- Handlebars must not drop past the level of the front rim, & must have no forwards angle.
- Minimum weight of machine 12 kg.
- A minimum of 60 spokes in the front wheel.
- A minimum front wheel diameter of 44 inches.
- Any back brakes in place must be disabled.
- Bicycles ridden by children under the age of 12 years are exempted from these provisions.
- All riders must be able to mount & dismount their machines independently.
The rider carries the responsibility of ensuring the suitability of the machine being ridden, and we reserve the right to reject any machine which we consider unsafe for competition.